- If you can change one person’s life for the better you will have made all the difference in the world, for that one person will go on to change another life, and another, and another, and that is all that matters.
- Please be kind. Being kind takes just a second: holding the door for someone, complimenting his or her outfit or smile. There ae so many ways to be kind. Cruelty gains you nothing. Having a bad day does not justify you being an ass.
- Respect goes a long way, also. Just because there might be disagreements does not give you reason to lack respect. People have opinons and ideas that may differ from yours. There are so many benefits for being respectful. Just don’t be an ass.
- Be a decent human being. No one wants to be near someone who does not care for others.
- Drink lots of water. Your headaches will go away and your skin will clear up. You will wake up eith more ease and your body will thank you for it.
- Study for your classes and exams. School is valuable, whether you like ito r not, and if you go to college than each class could be hundreds of dollars. Don’t throw the money aeay because you’re a pretentious asshole. You’ll learn something, and knowledge is beautiful.
- Save some time for yourself. “Me time” is wonderful, and you need to relax. It’s okay if you don’t go out this weekend; sometimes your health is more important than night you might not even remember anyway.
- Take a shower. Wash your sheets. Brush your teeth and hair. Put on deodorant. Hygiene is key to a healthy life, and no one wants to smell you anyway.
- Manage your time. Break up your day into chunks and play a game of Tetris with it. Make sure you leave time for sleep. Procrastination leads to nothing but stress and breakouts.
- Live YOUR life. You need to face the reality that no one can live your life but yourself, and sometimes being a doctor or lawyer isn’t for you. And that’s okay. You’re allowed to be whatever you want.
"Please, don't worry about hurting me
I have no feelings anyway,"
I said to you with sincerity
As I slid onto the highway.
I told you my heart would never break,
But I slowly hear it shatter.
It turns out that I truly feel an ache
While my tears go pitter-patter.
You asked what makes my heart soar,
And I kissed you in reply.
But to you I only was a bore,
And with that, you said goodbye.
It was her in your arms you longed for.
You might have thought it were clever.
I guess to you we never belonged.
I really hoped we would end up together.
Sometimes people tell us that things are okay even if they don't really mean it but when you whisper it in my ear between kisses after everyone else leaves for the night I somehow believe you might be on to something.
The beer bottle rolled from one end of the table to the next, leaving a trail of carbonated amber leftovers where it stopped. Smoke tumbled from the glass ashtray next to the glass bottle, and her heart silently shattered like glass, too.
She whispered through tears over the roaring TV and his labored breaths, “come closer.” The air moving in his lungs was tainted with that God-awful acrid smell.
“Do you like me?” His question seemed irrelevant, but when she looked into his eyes she saw something brutally honest. She saw a flash of fear; something he never would have let be seen if he were sober.
“Don’t be an idiot and just come closer.” His hand fell on her head and he kissed her cheek and wondered who in God’s name could have made her heart hurt so damn much.
When I was 11 I had a soccer coach who made us run in circles and when we got dizzy he told us to run the other direction to undo the spinning. Imagine the beauty of living in a world where we could just run the other direction every time the world spun in circles; imagine how simple everything would be if we could undo the shit that made us spin in the first place.
Your lips and touch are fertile, for they have grown me so kind that flowers grow inside my lungs, and God I can’t breathe.
Oh, how I miss you like the stars miss the sky in the morning light; how I love you like the ocean loves the shoreline, kissing it softly before each time it is sent away. Your eyes shine like diamonds, beckoning to be seen by everyone. Your laugh is Christmas morning, joy shared by the old and young, and your touch is lightning.
But you came crashing down like thunder. Each strike after the next, I never knew someone so strong could fall so fast. My nights are consumed with thoughts of you. I wonder if we stare at the same moon. I wonder if we wish together, each night at 11:11. I wonder if you even remember the touch of my lips on yours, so soft. I spent so much time with you loving me that I didn’t even know how to love myself. My heart still aches for you but I know it shouldn’t. Please come back, and bring the stars and the ocean and the diamonds. Please bring back the lightning – I promise I can deal with your weather.